British Parts

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: British Parts
From: ad793@freenet.carleton.ca (Frank Condelli)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 93 06:15:07 EST
I see there has been some banter lately about parts prices from merry old
England.  I have some information for you folks and some questions to
anyone with answers!  I read in the last issue of  "MG Enthusiast"  an add
for shock absorbers, rebuilt front units at 10 lbs for standard ones and 15
lbs for upgraded ones.  I checked the British pound here in Canada and it
was at around $2.00.  I say to myself these shocks are a great bargain and
beging the process of trying to get some.  After 3 phone calls to the chap
I get the information on shipping.  He tells me the cheapest way he can
find is air freight and it is going to cost 70 lbs or $140 canadian for
two front shocks plus a 40 lbs or $80 canadian surcharge for the old
shocks.  I could send him the old shocks but it seem to be a moot point in
terms of price.  So in total 2 front shocks deliverd to my door will cost
me about $280 canadian.  Not such a good deal anymore, and we haven't paid
the taxes yet.  Seems to me the prices in merry old England are super good
but the shipping across the pond is a killer.  I'm not sure I have
explored all the possibilties here so this is my question to you brit car
folks out there.  Is there some way to get these shocks or any other parts
for that matter across the pond at a cheaper rate?  If not, then we must
be content with the prices of parts here.

Frank Condelli * Carp, Ontario, Canada * ad793@Freenet.carlton.ca