RE: chattering noise in TR4

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: RE: chattering noise in TR4
From: dec254!reed@uunet.UU.NET (John Reed)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 10:23:42 -0500
There seems to be some confusion about the vent system on the
TR4.  There are two basic ways to move air through the heater:

1.  Open the scuttle vent and close the dash vents.  This draws
cold air in and forces it through the heater. (since the dash
vents are shut)

2.  Close the scuttle vent, open the dash vents and turn the
blower on.  This draws air in through the dash vents and forces
it through the heater.

The open scuttle method provides a much greater volume of air, but
the second method may be prefered if it is raining hard or the outside
air is extremely cold.  If the scuttle vent is closed, the dash
vents must be opened to provide an air source for the heater.

I gained experience with this heater as the TR4 was my only car
while in high school and college in Ohio.  To eliminate the chattering
noise I reccomend insulated boots and a heavy jacket.