GT6 tranny heat

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 tranny heat
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 93 18:01:28 -0400

   From: Chris Kent Kantarjiev <cak@parc.xerox.com>

   cdenzler asks:

     I saw PhilE recommend 30W non detergent for someones MG trans.

   No, Triumph owners should use 80-90 weight GL4 (not GL5) transmission lube.

There seems to be some difference of opinion on this. The factory spec
for TR2/3's is SAE 30 engine oil (50 in hot climates).  I have seen
aftermarket manuals that suggested 80 weight gear oil in these cars. I
don't know what the TR4/5/6 factory recommendation was; it's basically
the same transmission, if they switched to recommending gear oil, I
imagine it's OK to use either.

I have always used engine oil in TR3's, and it has worked well. I
believe gear oil of equivalent viscosity would work as well or better,
*except* in overdrive transmissions, where I might worry that even GL4
oil had enough EP additives to keep the clutches from working right...

                                -john
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu