Re: GT6 tranny heat

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 tranny heat
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 10:36:52 PDT
cdenzler asks:

  I saw PhilE recommend 30W non detergent for someones MG trans.  Is that what
  I should be using?  My trans was rebuilt recently before I got the car, and
  I want it to last as long as possible.  They certainly seem to get hot,
  judging by the temperature of the stick.  Does this heat come mainly from the
  trans itself, or the engine and exhaust???

No, Triumph owners should use 80-90 weight GL4 (not GL5) transmission lube.

The heat seems to come from the engine and the exhaust. The stock
exhaust pipe is carefully bent so that it crosses under the
transmission twice (presumably for clearance of the drain and fill
plugs) so it can heat the transmission more evenly.

Wrapping the downpipe with thermopower or similar insulating material
works pretty well, though it's a nuisance to do. If your tranny leaks,
don't do it - the tape will absorb the oil and turn into a potential firetrap.