Followup on my starter.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Followup on my starter.
From: jhoward@atlas.usno.navy.mil (James Howard)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 16:02:30 EDT
I have replaced the starter in my MGB after finding out what happens
when you drive the car with the starter running.  Funny how if one
thing goes wrong, everything else does too.  I pulled the distributor
to replace the starter, and broke one of the wires inside it.  The
piece of the hood prop rod that is spotwelded to the body broke off.
I ran down the battery, so I had to pull it, take it home, and
recharge it.

I managed to get evereything working, and gave my coworker a ride
home.  The electrical system died in his relatively new Honda, but new
cars have something that mine does not.  He was able to get his fixed
under warranty, while I had to get mine fixed in the dirt under the
car.

After dropping him off, on the Beltway, the electrics all died when I
went over a bump.  I jiggled the wires on the distributor and the
battery, and that seemed to fix it.  I have decided that this is a
good time to give my car it's much needed paint job, since I finally
have alternative transport (an Opel Manta) and I just got a bonus to
pay for it.  I also want to clean every electrical connector on the
car.  I was scared to death when the electrics died on the Beltway
during rush hour.

James