canisters and boosters

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: canisters and boosters
From: Greg Meythaler <Greg_Meythaler@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 15:45:01 PST
    Last night I decided to finally get the oil changed in the
    TR-6 as it was a little overdue. I had been putting off
    touching the car because I had slightly burned myself out
    getting ready for VTR (I redid my interior with a new panel
    kit and seat covers and foams, in too short an amount of
    time).  In the 8 years I've had my car I have never had as
    much trouble as last night.  All was going relatively
    swimmingly until I fired the engine to circulate the new oil
    and check the pressure. After a brief second, I heard
    Phphsssssss.  DOH!!!  Another fine mess I've created. I
    backed up the canister and couldn't feel the rubber sealing O
    ring?!  Where did it go I put it in. I back out the bolt some
    more and got it back in position and retighten the canister.
    Fired the engine back up and it's leaking AGAIN!  Grrrrrrr.
    So now I realize that it is time to wake up and think about
    what I'm doing and carefully analyze what is going on. So I
    spent and hour and a half trying to get that canister to seat
    down on that O ring.  I would get the top of the ring in the
    groove and then the bottom would pop out, and vice versa.  I
    even got fed up and spent some time under the car working
    from the bottom to try and get it to seat right.  The whole
    time dodging drips of Castrol's finest.  After I finally got
    the canister to seat, I realized I did something I had never
    done before when changing my oil on the TR. When putting in
    the rubber O ring I put oil on it (I always put oil on the o
    ring when I'm changing a spin-on filter).  In retrospect
    this was a really _bad_ thing to do.  The o ring was too
    slippery and it would just slip out of the groove in the
    block, as it is a _slight_ stretch fit.  In fact I got it to
    work on the first attempt after I totally removed the
    canister and wiped off the O ring with a paper towel.
    I can tell you that Castrol is a real _deep_ conditioner for
    your hair, it took me 3 shampoos to get my hair back to
    normal.

    While I was taking one of my many breaks to regain my
    patience during the evening, I noticed that I was low on
    brake fluid.  Also the front of the vacuum booster was wet.
    My master is ~6 years old and probably has about 30-45K miles
    on it.  I don't think that it should be the master but I
    suppose it could be. Since I have new carpets inside, I know
    that the fluid hasn't been coming inside the car (yet).  Is
    there a way to definatively tell which has the problem before
    you take it all apart?  Since the fluid has been changed
    several times since the master was new I'm
    assuming/hoping/praying that it will not be pitted and I can
    just kit the master.  I remember reading a while back about
    getting vacuum boosters rebuilt, but I wasn't able to find
    anything by searching the vendor list for vacuum, booster, or
    brake.  Was anyone able to find diaphram kits, or is sending
    it to someone the only way to get one repaired?  Who repairs
    them?

    greg_meythaler@ccm.hf.intel.com