Re: Gas in Lotus float

To: akguc!tdm@akgua.att.com
Subject: Re: Gas in Lotus float
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1993 15:01:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 7 Sep 1993 akguc!tdm@akgua.att.com wrote:

> I have a small slit in a brass float.  Any way to fix that ?
>
> Don Mathis

Dear Don,

The only way I can think of you undoubtedly already have thought of--to
solder it.  That adds weight, but it might not be too bad if you keep to
solder to a minimum.  I'd bring the edges of the slit very close together,
if I could, use as small a soldering iron as would heat solder to melting
on the surface, and try for a seal with as little solder as humanly
possible.  If the edges are too far apart to bridge with solder alone, I
would use the smallest possible strip of 0.003 or 0.005" brass shim stock
that would cover the slit and sweat it over the slit.  I can send you a
bit of brass shim if you can't easily find some.   If you try it, I would
avoid using electrical (rosin core) solder.  Plumber's solder with
conventional paste flux would probably work best. All brass surfaces
should be cleaned carefully and tinned before trying to solder or sweat
things together.

The question, of course, is how much weight can be added to a float before
it quits floating.  Assume a 2.5 x 6 cm float.  It's volume is 29.4 cc.  I
don't know the density of gas, but guess at 0.7.  The float will float if
it weighs less than 20.6 grams.  A 5 cm (2 inch) long piece of 0.050"
solder weighs a hair over 0.4 grams.  Weight of shim, if needed, should be
negligible.  So that much solder shouldn't change the float to a sinker.
I'd think it would work, if you make sure no solder gets inside the float
and wipe off all excess with a Q tip.

Maybe one of the group has tried this, and can say if it worked.

Good luck,
Ray Gibbons