Rust and Primer

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rust and Primer
From: brown@saturn.SDSU.Edu (Kevin Brown)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 93 20:35:58 PDT
        Thanks to everyone who offered me advice on my overheating TR6.
Since the cooling system had just been overhauled (new thermostat, sender
and inlet manifold, recored radiator), I decided to give my local
TR mechanic a crack at it.  He did some temperature testing and
determined that my gauge was reading high -- 160 degrees was reading
exactly 1/2 way, and 190 degrees was 2/3.  He said that these were
reasonable temperatures and that 160 degrees should read farther to
the left.  Does this sound plausible to everyone?

        I flushed the Dot3 brake fluid out of my system and filled it
with Dot4 right after I got all your responses.  It's too bad I blew it
using the wrong stuff but at least I'll know how to rebuild the master
cylinder when I have to do it again.  Somebody already asked this but I
saw no replies -- Why don't they make rebuild kits that don't use
natural rubber?  Does Moss have an agreement with the brake fluid people
to make us buy the expensive stuff? :)

        I'm trying to clean up what looks like some light surface rust
on my trunk.  I read Mike Harlan's post and went to work.  It looked
like a fair amount of rust before I started, but when I sanded a little
of the top coat off, most was gone and by the time I got to bare metal,
there was practically none -- just a few small pits.  What's going
on here, is there a problem with my paint?

        So then I primed it and waited a few days.  Now I see brown
discoloration under the primer (it's white).  Is this likely to be
rust again? - I thought the primer would protect against this.
My mechanic said it might be rusting from the inside but wouldn't
I be able to see the rust when I got down to bare metal?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Brown                             San Diego State University
brown@saturn.sdsu.edu                   Soon to be U of South Carolina