Help on MG questions.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Help on MG questions.
From: atf@scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au (Arthur Freeman )
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 93 16:42:55 EST
With the wiring having burnt out on the MG ('77 Rubber Bumper,
electric ignition etc), there appears to be a short in the white
wire coming from the ignition switch.
This is the wire which leads to the ignition relay.
The questions on this are:
1. Where is the ignition relay sited, what does it look like?
2. Is it correct for a short from this white wire to earth to happen?
(NB The short is not 100% full on, since my circuit tester (a flaslight
battery/bulb) does not light up as brightly as it does when connecting
the "probe" ends to each other (ie a dead short).)

Having also changed the single Z-S carb for a pair of H1F4 SU's, and now
running on leaded petrol, what should the dynamic timing be set to?
(I am running at about 13deg advance, and the car seems to idle a bit fast)..
(The dynamic timing has been set atabout 600rpm, with the vacuum tube from
the manifold disconnected from the distributor, and blocked).

I have enjoyed reading the net recently, and am somewhat envious of the
fact that you guys are in summer.

Still I look forward to any help on tracing the electrical problem.

Arthur