Re: Calipers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Calipers
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 11:25:00 CDT
>>     What is the purpose of honing cylinders?  As I understand it, its to
>> roughen up the glazed surface so the new seals can wear in.
>
>No, rubber seals don't need to wear! The purpose is to make the cylinder
>
> 1) round and 2) smooth
>
> So that the seal can seal. A finely polished surface is best.

You're both right, ("New Shimmer is a floor wax _and_ a dessert topping!" :-)
but you may be talking at cross-purposes. BRAKE cylinders need smooth polish-
ing for the seals to, well, seal. ENGINE cylinders need cross-hatch-pattern
hone marks to, as I understand it, retain some slight amount of oil on the
cylinder walls, and/or keep the rings from settling, and/or other reasons.
So I don't think you want to be roughing up brake cylinder surfaces; you
may be thinking of the fine honing marks required in the engine instead.

-- Andy