Re: MGB problems, screws, rainX

To: Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: MGB problems, screws, rainX
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 93 10:13:28 PDT

> > MGBs made past 1975 ...  They also had raised ride height
>
> Shouldn't that be a *razed* ride height?
>
> > continuing through 1980.  I now can't remember whether they skip I or
> > not, reckoning on confusion with 1.  Anyway, a 1974 will start out GHN5UE,
> > since 1974 is the fifth model year after 1970 inclusive.  The ###### is
> > a six-digit number that is the car's sequential number in the manufacturing
> > process.)
>
> Or, you could just look on the plate behind the door, and read the date of
> manufacture.

(Wake UP, sfisher...)  Ah, hm.  Yes, you *could* do that, and you
could also find out the MONTH of manufacture.

I really meant to add that and just clean forgot.  (I think there's
the stub of an unresolved forward reference in that article, where I
mention two ways to find the date and only give one?)

Anyway, the decode-the-vin trick is a good one if you want to find
the year of an MGB that is locked and unattended.  I've done that in
parking lots, garages, and those "U-Sell-It" lots, so it's a trick
that can come in handy.

--Scott "This is what comes of posting from home while sick" Fisher