re: Letting off steam

To: gerry@hostel.att.com
Subject: re: Letting off steam
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 29 Jun 1993 10:50 EDT
>The past week-end there was the annual Vintage races in Phili, PA, hosted by
>the
>VSCCA. What a waste of time !!!!!. This is the 2nd VSCCA event I have been to,
>and will probably be the last. For those that are unfaminliar with VSCCA
>(Vintage
>Sports Car Club of America), they are a club which allows only cars "produced
>in limited quantity, with historic racing heritage" - which bsically means
>that if you did not pay pay at least $50,000 for your vintage race car, than
>you can't take part.

I agree fully with Gerry's assessment of VSCCA's mindset.  I find it
reminds me of the "exclusive country club" set that must APPROVE who
you are, your connections, what you drive, ad nauseum.  We (VTR) through
the efforts of then President Steve Rossi, wrote to VSCCA suggesting
they "recognize" the early drum brake TR-2s for VSCCA racing.  The
reply was along the lines of "thanks, but no thanks."

I really hope VARA and or SVRA continue to gain more vintage racing
venues and dates in the Northeast and maybe VSCCA will then be relagated
to their own small world.  At least Lime Rock had the sense, when they
first started the Vintage Fall Festival over Labor Day Weekend to NOT
limit the racing to only VSCCA cars.  You'll see at the BMW
fall festival a full array of classic 40/50/60 vinatge SCCA type
racers.

>The strange thing is that that they allow MGA's to run but there were NO
>Triumphs,
>Sunbeams, Frogeyes at all. They allow Fiat/Abarths to run but do not
>allow Mini Cooper "S" (strange when you look at the the producion fihgures
>!!!).
>
>Also what I found REALLY strange was that they allowed NON-period modifications
>to cars, ie Spax adjustables on a Turner !!!!!, Mallory electronic ignition
>on a MG TD !!!! - give me a break.
>
>To me vintage racing is supposed to recreate a certain period of racing
>history.
>If you allow an MGA to run, then you have to allow all other cars that raced in
>the same period as well - to truely recreate the racing of old.
>
>I have seen a few vintage (historic) races in Europe which try to do exactly
>this.
>They have cut-off years (ie 1968), and basically you can race anything that
>was available in that year, with the performance goodies that were available
>at the time.
>
>Gerry
>
>(Sorry for rambling - I had to let off steam because VSCCA would not let me
>run this week-end !!!)

Gerry, what type of vehicle do you race and, generally, where?

Cheers,
Bill