Letting off steam

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Letting off steam
From: gerry@hostel.att.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 93 08:24 EDT
The past week-end there was the annual Vintage races in Phili, PA, hosted by the
VSCCA. What a waste of time !!!!!. This is the 2nd VSCCA event I have been to,
and will probably be the last. For those that are unfaminliar with VSCCA
(Vintage
Sports Car Club of America), they are a club which allows only cars "produced
in limited quantity, with historic racing heritage" - which bsically means
that if you did not pay pay at least $50,000 for your vintage race car, than
you can't take part.

The strange thing is that that they allow MGA's to run but there were NO
Triumphs,
Sunbeams, Frogeyes at all. They allow Fiat/Abarths to run but do not
allow Mini Cooper "S" (strange when you look at the the producion fihgures !!!).

Also what I found REALLY strange was that they allowed NON-period modifications
to cars, ie Spax adjustables on a Turner !!!!!, Mallory electronic ignition
on a MG TD !!!! - give me a break.

To me vintage racing is supposed to recreate a certain period of racing history.
If you allow an MGA to run, then you have to allow all other cars that raced in
the same period as well - to truely recreate the racing of old.

I have seen a few vintage (historic) races in Europe which try to do exactly
this.
They have cut-off years (ie 1968), and basically you can race anything that
was available in that year, with the performance goodies that were available
at the time.

Gerry

(Sorry for rambling - I had to let off steam because VSCCA would not let me
run this week-end !!!)