Road America

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Road America
From: TIMOTHY COLLINS <thcollin@mtu.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1993 19:47:21 -0400
     On Saturday, I went to the June Sprints at Road America in
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.  Track officials were speculating that a
record number of entries were there for the weekend.  That
assured a good number of LBC's running in F, G, and H production.
Qualifying was a good show and the race was great!  I roamed the
pits and saw a lot of nice, race prepared LBC's.
     The most interesting machine in the pit, for a SOLer, was a
Torro (I think) lawn tractor with a BMC Spridget engine
transplant!  Except for the necessary radiator (which hung
outside the original grill) and the custom exhaust system, the
transplant was very clean.  I should have taken the time to talk
to the owner to ask "why", but I didn't.  Just took a picture and
was on my way.
     Also on hand were a number of LBC's which were driven by the
spectators.  There was a nice example of an Austin 850 (Club
wagon?), a mini, a MGB-GT, which were parked near my car.
     Now I'm looking forward to the Chicago Historic Races, also
at RA, at the end of July.  There I expect to see some Lotus
Sevens, MG- T's, big Healeys, Jags, etc.  The RA people advertise
that 40 million dollars worth of (old) sports cars will be there.
     BTW, Road America has great food, clean restrooms, great
viewing sites and great road racing.  It was a fun day!
Tim Collins, Director              1966 AH Sprite - disassembled
School of Technology
Michigan Technological University
Houghton, MI                       Say ya to da U.P. eh?