Re:lead

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:lead
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 09:50:03 PDT
Admittedly, 5 out of 3500 is a fairly small sample set. But I do know
that many people are perfectly happy running unleaded. I have a GT6
head about to go to the shop; I'm still waffling about whether or not
to put hardened seats in (five out of six combustion chambers don't
have any seat inserts and they all look just fine - I'm guessing that a
PO burned a valve in #6).

Lead substitutes - Roland, that's the first positive report I've heard
about any of them. I've read several reports that say they're all snake
oil (no offense intended)... I used to use the Redline stuff
religiously, until I couldn't find it at one point, and then fell out of the
habit.

Maybe I'll do an experiment with the GT6 - not put seats in this time.
That head will be off again several times in the next few years (it's
for the autocross engine), so I can do an extended test.