Re: Temperature Problems et al.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Temperature Problems et al.
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 24 Jun 1993 11:47:21 -0500 (EST)
Kevin,

>P.S My rebuilt brake master cylinder is holding up great (although I
>still can;t get all the bubbles out - 2 bleeds and counting).
>However I have STP dot 3 brake fluid in it, from some references on
>the net, it seems I should have dot 4 in there.  Is this really

Get a new rebuild kit, and redo it. The seals _WILL FAIL_. DOT 3 fluid eats the
natural rubber parts away. You absolutely do not want this to happen while you
are driving! This can be hazardous to you and your car ;-). Seriously, DOT3
fluid is bad for your hydraulic system...you are better off re-doing it IMHO.

With regard to your heating system...if the sending unit fails, it usually
reads
_COOLER_ because the resistance of the sending unit decreases as it gets warmer
(not based on fact). I had my sending unit fail, and it eventually became an
open circuit...the gauge always read toward the cold end with the bad sending
unit. I replaced it...it stays "right in the middle" (like it did since day
one.) If you know another S.D. TR6 owner, use a multimeter to compare the
resistance values at operating temp. between a known good sending unit and the
"suspect" one. Note...if the car isn't boiling over, it is possible that the
sending unit is wrong. Also, make sure that your thermostat is correct _and_
functioning properly. Thermostats that do not open all they way can reduce
flow,
and thus reduce the effectiveness of the cooling system to actually cool the
coolant. (Cool, huh?)

Good luck with your cross country sojurn.

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |