DMV is the collectors friend(?)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: DMV is the collectors friend(?)
From: marrone@optilink.com (Frank Marrone)
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 09:40:39 PDT
As most of you probably know by now, the california DMV recently changed its
non-operation policy and now requires all of us to yearly register
non-roadworthy vehicles as non-operational at a cost of $5 a year.  If you fail
to do this or you purchase a vehicle that has not had its non-operational
status registered with the DMV you could be liable for up to 5 years back
registration including penalties.  Let me tell you that this could run in to
some significant coin.

While going through the process with my 1964 tiger I was supprised when the
nice lady at the window told me that if I claim that the car is a collectors
vehicle ( the car must be at least 25 years old to do this)  it falls under the
old non-op policy and all I had to do was sign a non-op certificate covering
the period that the car was not registered an presto I would save over $100 in
back registration fees.  So I did.

 What gives?  This seems very un-DMV like.  Especially in a state looking under
every stone for revenue.  I thought I would pass this along to all of you
because I do not think that this "loop hole" is very well known.  One thing
worrys me though, are we being set up?  Maybe next year I will find that I have
to pay additional fees for the priviledge of owning a "collectors" car.

Frank Marrone at: marrone@optilink.com