Redcar woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Redcar woes
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 93 08:07:30 PDT
     As a good friend of mine used to say, "If you think
     it's bad now, just wait till later". For anyone who's
     been around me lately might have noticed things either
     going extremely great or extremely bad, and last
     night was no exception.
          After nice time with the usual SCARE folks at the
     Duke, I fired up Redcar for the trip home. As I
     trundled out of the parking lot I heard Dick Nyquist
     bellow out my name. Expecting a witty adieu, I was
     mildly disappointed when he shouted "No taillights".
          I ambled down the road till I could find a
     convenient place to troubleshoot. A BP gas station was
     located and I pulled under the lights.
          Upon inspection, the problem was not just that I
     had no taillights, but no brake lights or front running
     lights either. Headlights and turn signals was all
     she'd do. Not feeling very lucky as of late, I opted to
     track down the problem rather than chance a drive home
     at this point.
          Underhood inspection at the wiring harness
     junction revealed no loose connectors, as did a look at
     the light switch. I tried the lights again, and with my
     bad luck roller coaster picking up speed, found that
     this time I had no headlights either. Determining that
     there was power going to the switch but none coming
     out, I quickly realized that the switch was expiring.
     This explained the intermittent front running light
     syndrome I noticed in the reflection of cars that were
     in front of me this weekend.
          Not having a spare light switch in my tool box, I
     opted for the next best thing; a small hose clamp
     tightened around the hot wire, the headlight feed and
     the running light feed. Key on, and Voila ! Headlights
     and still no running lights. By this time I was
     exhausted and exasperated, and was willing to take my
     chances driving home. I guess the roller coaster had
     bottomed out and had begun to head upward, as I made it
     home w/o incident.
          Upon reflection I always try to find the good in
     whatever happens, and when I realized what a damper this
     electrical problem would've been to my extended coastal
     drive/wine tasting adventure with the Traveling Companion
     this last weekend, I smiled. Thank you Redcar, for
     waiting to have a problem just when I could afford for
     you to have one.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com