turn signals

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: turn signals
From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1993 09:45:58 -0500
>I too have never had much luck with the turn signal shut off on my TR7,
>after replacing the switch unit with a salvaged unit (The headlight dip
>switch was shot on my original) I find that deep turns will turn off the
>blinker.  So I have acquired the habit of turning the switch off myself.

OK, I've been forced to post my 2 cents :-)  When I got my TR8, the "main"
beam switch was broken (in fact, the main beams would come on at almost
every little bump).  I ordered a replacement.  I took the wheel off,
put on the new switch, and, much to my surprise, blinkers wouldn't turn off
unless the wheel was turned way too far.  Weird.  I ended up puzzling
over this for some time until I figured out I'd put in on wrong (VERY
easy to do).  I put it together differently and now it works just fine.
Yours should too.  Perhaps a PO has put YOUR switch on incorrectly?

I'd suggest pulling the switch off and puzzling over it for a while;
explore the alternatives.  I no longer remember just exactly how it
fit together but you can probably figure it out.  It WAS kinda fun
when I finally figured it out.  Consider it a built-in Triumph puzzle!

Good luck,
jim