T7/8 turn signal cancelling

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: T7/8 turn signal cancelling
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1993 10:02:13 -0400
First off, I vote for SOL window decals, but I'd go for any article of
clothing as well.

> From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
> In my TR7, the turn signals (direction indicators) due not turn off
> (cancel) unless the turn radius is unusually small--smaller than
> normally seen in even residential driving.

This is the one thing on my car that actually works as expected. Maybe BL
changed something in 1980?

Andrew C. Green writes:
> I shall stick my neck out by attempting to apply American car experience
> to this one... the self-cancelling mechanism is usually triggered by a
> couple of small springs....

...that tend to break, are a pain to replace but are at least cheap. The GM
ones tend to go once in a while, although my 12 year old Olds still has its
original springs. From my experience, though, if the springs break the signal
doesn't self cancel no matter how tight you turn, and Joe's problem sounds
more like it could be the *wrong* spring, or some sort of misadjustment.

> You may have to yank the
> steering wheel to get a clear view of the area. Ask any Pontiac owner. :-(

Yanking the steering wheel is the easy part. It's trying to manoeuvre the
little bugger between the little holes in the plate that retains all the junk
in the GM corporate steering column (ever had to replace a wiper switch?
Getting that plate off is an even bigger pain).

>From my observations of my 7's steering column, those plastic moldings, which
are loose on my car, would lend access to all of that stuff. I doubt that it
would be necessary to yank the wheel, unless it's just a pain to work around
it.

Jody.P.Levine@hydro.on.ca - Toronto, Canada - 79 TR7 Convertible