Why slam LICs? & Jim Fuerstenberg meeting

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Why slam LICs? & Jim Fuerstenberg meeting
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 93 09:46:59 EDT
Greg Gall writes:
 > Hi guys,

Hi!

 > with all the comments (mostly negative) over the last few months over
 > Italian cars, specifically FIATs, I was wondering why?

I dunno why we slam LICs...  I never really slammed them myself, but
never showed any interest in them until just recently.  (Ok, I did
laugh at Arlie's car when he showed up, but that was mostly because
he wanted me too.  :-) When Arlie showed up in his fiat here on the
East Coast, I got to check out a LIC for the first time close up.  Ya
know what?  It's kinda cool!  5-speed, fool-injection, twin-cam, and
it even had the classic rattles of the our beloved LBCs.  (Most of
which we can't identify!)  See!  We even slam LBCs!  Well not too
much, and never in their presence.

I got to ride in Arlie's car over to Baltimore to see Jim
Fuerstenberg, and we decided that we could make it an honorary LBC!
The only thing I can think that would make it truly different from a
LBC is that it had too much zip for most LBCs.  (I wish my TR6 had
150hp like the ones across the pond.  :-( Anyway, my eyes were opened.

Dean, Arlie, Paul and myself welcomed Jim to Baltimore last night with
a parade of cars.  Dean leading with his Midget, followed by Arlie and
myself in the Fiat, and then Paul in his TR6.  A great time was had by
all, and we even had a few incidents, which I'll let some of the other
folks elaborate on, so hang on to your bit stream for just a second...

I attempted to get my TR ready for the trip, but was only able to get
the new tires/wheels on, and change the tranny fluid with Redline
MT90.  I guess I'll have to get the interior put in tonight.

We met at Jim's hotel and headed out to the Baltimore brew pub.  The
waiter showed, and we said, "Beer!  Food!".  He replied, "Kitchens,
closed... but beer we can do."  Jim nor I had dinner yet, it was
approaching 10:00 and so we said, "See ya!"  We then paraded one car
less to the next place, Sisson's.  The beer was brewed there on site,
and they even had some that was finished! :-)  We chatted till it was
too late to think straight and headed home.  It was great to meet yet
another Soler.

Paul and I drove home in his TR6.  The exhaust note sweetly rumbled in
my ears till I was dead asleep.  The purr of the exhaust was
interrupted by this honda dweeb who came up beside us and honked his
horn in my ear!  I guess he was just plain jealous.  I waved back and
wondered if I knew this person so I could find him and kill him later.
:-) The amazing thing was that we were only two miles from home.
Isn't great when a 70 minute trip only takes 10 minutes?  :-) Thanks
for driving Paul.  :-)

Cheers,

-Scotty