Re: Buying cars that are miles away

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying cars that are miles away
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 15:40:29 CDT
Josh Kablotsky writes:
> how do I get the car back home?  I assume that many of the cars I'd
> consider purchasing aren't able to move under their own power, and
> probably none would be candidates for a cross-country trip.  Do I rent
> a flatbed?  Or a box truck? and load it in the back.

This was discussed a while back on the BMW list. Some good ideas surfaced
regarding the rental of a U-Haul or Ryder truck big enough to just roll
the thing in the back:

1) This is really good for an LBC, since you can use a smaller truck. ;-)

2) You can "sublet" unused space in the truck to someone else going the
   same way, and defray expenses.

3) Obviously the car is protected from the weather, and thus can be in
   practically any state of (dis)repair.

4) The car should be surrounded by padding (e.g. folded blankets or old
   mattresses) on all sides, as it may have a tendency to "hop" when the
   truck goes over bumps, eventually slithering its way to one side or
   the other and bumping the sides of the truck.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473