Buying cars that are miles away

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Buying cars that are miles away
From: "Josh A. Kablotsky" <joshua.kablotsky@analog.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 93 14:40:08 EDT

Now that my '73 MGB is just about "finished", I find myself in need of
a new project.  I'm considering buying another LBC (maybe an MGA or an
early B) and doing a restoration.  Here in New England, though, most
of the project cars are very rusted, and I would like to start on
something without much rust.  By broadening my search to far-off
states (like NY ;^)), I'll probably not only have a better selection,
but also be more likely to find a car with little rust.

But there are some problems.  First, how do I find the car?  I have no
problem taking a day trip (a couple hundred miles) to see a car, but I
don't want to have to take a week's vacation to travel to see a car I
may not want anyways.  I've talked to sellers who have told me "no
rust", only to find that the floor is gone and I could put a
screwdriver through the frame.

Importantly, (and here's where I would really appreciate some advice),
how do I get the car back home?  I assume that many of the cars I'd
consider purchasing aren't able to move under their own power, and
probably none would be candidates for a cross-country trip.  Do I rent
a flatbed?  Or a box truck? and load it in the back.  Could I rent a
trailer and pull it home (I'd borrow my sister's big Ford Crown Vic)?
I imagine there are services that will transport cars, but are they
expensive?

Of course it depends on what I bought, but the car probably wouldn't
cost much.  I don't think it makes sense to spend as much again as the
car costs to bring it home.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas?  Thanks,

Josh Kablotsky