Re: Brake pads & duct tape.

To: gall@gamma.uleth.ca, cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Brake pads & duct tape.
From: dave@stargazer.pacdata.com (David Ambrose)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 93 18:26:41 PDT
Roldan writes:

>Personally I don't find brake squeal that annoying.  Typically
>it only occurs when brakes get hot.  If that's not the case, then
>there's probably some problem that should be looked into.  Given
>the choice between occasional squeal and getting my brakes gummed
>up, I'll take the squeal.

        Ok,  I redid the front brakes on the Honda this weekend and can now shed
a bit of practical experience on this matter.

        The back of the old pads were covered with silicone caulking.  By
the time the brakes are worn enough to warrant replacing,  the stuff is
a real, baked on mess.  Not recommended for any car you care about.

        My brakes squealed like rabbits being tortured.  When I bought the
new pads,  they sold me some gummed paper to apply to the back of the pads
and stop the squealing.  It was made by Lucas/Girling so I figured it must
be great,  right?  ;-)  I can now report this stuff works as advertised.  For
$2 US,  you can't hardly go wrong and it has to be better than duct tape.

        I'll probably use this on the MG and Sprite when I rebuild their
brakes.

        Dave Ambrose
        dave@pacdata.com