MGBGT mystery

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGBGT mystery
From: kjlooney@ssdkjl.b17c.ingr.com (KJ Looney)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 15:31:02 CDT
Hello wise ones,

As I am an avid reader but not poster to the net, I
guess I should say a small bit about who and what.
The who is a high school purchaser of my first
LBC, (67 Spit) and now the owner of bits and pieces
of TR-3's, MGA's, 6's, MGB's, Sprites, TR-10?? and
others but this post, and the what is my
68 MGB-GT.

I have touted this car to friends as the car that
goes when the others don't, but at the moment the
once "primrose yellow" car with the new (red that's
--too red--, but nobody gets to see it cause it
it's sputterin') paint, is sick.  Specifically,
when I begin to accelerate, about a block away from
where I started the rpm's will fall to nothing
(needle bouces off 0) so hard that you fall forward
in the seat, then it backfires and the entire process
begins again.  Now, let's say I don't accelerate
at quite the same rate, let's say I just ease up
to speed and maintain that speed with just a little
throttle, things seem fine.  Also no matter what,
the way it idles and runs (when it's not backfiring)
is what I would think is perfect for this car.

What have I missed?  I did have the points set
so tight the car could not run past idle so
please leave no stone unturned.

In the what I've done lately category, the
answer is nothing, before this happened and
these after:

-new coil
-new dist. cap
-new button
-new plugs (split fires)
-new wires
-checked compression
-checked valves

If you have a clue I would really appreciate it.

ken (a tinker-er who has been really lucky) looney

Ken Looney              kjlooney@ssdkjl.b17c.ingr.com
Systems Engineer        205-730-7702  Ext