Re: TR7/8 5 speed gearbox oil

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Subject: Re: TR7/8 5 speed gearbox oil
From: dhuddles@charm.gandalf.ca (David Huddleson)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 15:02:31 -0400 (EDT)
> jim writes:
>
> >80W-90 will NOT work!  I ruined my gearbox by topping up with 80W-90.
>
>   I must be missing something here: why does a 5 speed manual trans.
> need a gear oil pump?  The reason I ask is that I was planning on
> putting Redline MTL 90w in my midget (1500) gearbox.  I know that 'box
> doesn't have a gear oil pump, but will the heavy oil hurt it ?

Many newer automobiles with manual transmissions use a lighter gear oil
than the traditional 80W90. This. of course, is prompted by the energy-
saving concept of less drag and friction interal in the gearbox. The old-
style "heavy" oils were circulated by a "bathing" of the gears in the oilbath.
The oil would tend to "stick" on the gears for a longer time due to its
heavier viscosity. The lighter oils require to be pumped around with an
"oil pump". So, in your Midget for example, I would NOT put this lighter type
of oil in. Use the 80W90 oil.

David "with GM fluid in his TR8 5-speed" Huddleson

--
dhuddles@gandalf.ca   David J. Huddleson   Gandalf Data Ltd., Nepean, Ontario
                      (613) 723-6500 Days  (613) 822-1315 Otherwise