MGB woes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB woes
From: mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 93 14:04:09 CDT
The MG (Lucas) coils have an itergral balast resistor. This means that when
some grease monkey replaces the coil with a Detroit made one, the points
will burn out quickly. So check for a Lucas coil. If it isn't Lucas, buy
a ballast resitor and stick it on the coil. This is just one of the sources
of Lucas' bad reputation.

I like to tell the Lucas 'father of darkness' or 'home before dark' jokes.
The truth is that most of the electrical problems I've had were simple
mistakes made by previous owners. Once fixed, I've had little trouble
with Lucas electrics. Every SOL I've bought had bad electrical problems.
I returned them to original specs, and had no problems there after.
M Frankford
mfrankfo@nebula.tbe.com