TR4A coil/wire connection

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR4A coil/wire connection
From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 09:41:50 -0500
This last Saturday was one of our club's fix-it days.  We managed to
reverse the flow of entropy on three cars (but not without putting in a
fair bit of work).  Anyway, a TR4A we were working on just wasn't running
with full power.  We reset the timing and still the engine was missing a
bit.  We knew the carbs were right (we'd done that before).  So, after
putting a timing light on the plug and coil wires, we noticed the coil
wasn't always "putting out" so we pulled the wire.  Snap!  The wire popped
right out of the end with hardly any trouble at all.  Ah hah!! we
thought.  However, now we were left with some strands of wire (stranded
WIRE core in that coil wire), a mushed & very flat spring, and a strange
screw-on top which fit inside the coil.  We sort of mashed everything back
inside the top of the coil and the car ran GREAT.  However, it WOULD be
nice to know how all that stuff is SUPPOSED to fit.

Question:  How does the wire connect up to the spring and make connection
with the coil?

jim