TR8 gremlin found!

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR8 gremlin found!
From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 09:30:56 -0500
Well, for those of you who care, my electrical gremlin *DID* turn out to
be a bad coil.  I borrowed a coil from another TR8 this weekend (thanks to
Tom Bishop), drove around for over an hour and nothing particularly
strange happened.  The coil seemed hardly warm and the ballast resistor
wasn't sizzling hot like before.  Who'd have thought a silly transformer
soaking in oil would go BAD?  Oh well, now I've gotta order another.  WHY,
oh why should a new coil cost $74?  Is the Lucas name really worth all
that?  Wish I could cross reference it to something cheaper but my local
parts supplier didn't have any luck doing that.  Oh well.  Anyway, thanks
to everyone.

jim