Re: MGBGT mystery

To: kjlooney@ssdkjl.b17c.ingr.com (KJ Looney)
Subject: Re: MGBGT mystery
From: HERTZBERG JEAN R <hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 17:35:48 MDT
> it's sputterin') paint, is sick.  Specifically,
> when I begin to accelerate, about a block away from
> where I started the rpm's will fall to nothing
> (needle bouces off 0) so hard that you fall forward
> in the seat, then it backfires and the entire process
> begins again.  Now, let's say I don't accelerate
> at quite the same rate, let's say I just ease up
> to speed and maintain that speed with just a little
> throttle, things seem fine.  Also no matter what,
> the way it idles and runs (when it's not backfiring)
> is what I would think is perfect for this car.
>
> ken (a tinker-er who has been really lucky) looney
>
> Ken Looney            kjlooney@ssdkjl.b17c.ingr.com
> Systems Engineer      205-730-7702  Ext

Sounds lean to me too. Check your choke linkage, and also you might
check the carb pistons: take off the air cleaners, and lift the
piston (you'll see part of a vertical cylinder with a slot in it).
The piston should feel viscous going up, and when you let it go it
should fall freely all the way. Do this with the car off.
-Jean H