Disconnected jottings

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Disconnected jottings
From: pgarside@acorn.co.uk (Paul Garside)
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 93 14:59:35 BST

paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley) writes:
  Subject: Wee One Woes

  I have a noticeable whine in first and second on my TR6 as well.
  Always have.  There is a REAL noticeable whine in reverse on every
  manual trans I've ever owned, including my '85 honda.

Reverse gears whine because they are straight-cut (ie, not helically-cut).
This is cheaper, compacter and more efficient, but NOISY. Each tooth whacks
in without ceremony as the gear rotates; on a helically-cut gear they slide
in surreptitiously. Ever heard a racing Mini with straight-cut gears?

Early Jaguars (Moss box) had a phenomenal whine in first gear - were these
straight-cut too? Anyone know?

cp@cardinal.ms.sub.org (Chris Pallasch) writes:
    Subject: Bristish Cars Survey

    But I've got a question. What kind of cars are:

    Peerless GT
    and
    Wolseley

A Peerless GT is (was) a plastic-bodied 2-door fastback coupe using a TR
chassis. Not bad looking (apart from the little fins), but too low to the
ground in my view. (Risks flames from proud owners) See also Ogle Mini,
Bond Equipe, etc.

Wolseley, on the other hand, goes way back to the start of the century. They
were something of the BMW of their time, providing the police cars seen in
Ealing Comedies, and the Hornet sports model. They were swallowed up
by Lord Nuffield eventually, ending their days as badges on Morris
Minor-based 1500s, Farina 1600s, Minis and possibly 1100s and 1800s too.

New subject: igeta@ars.ntt.jp (Kazuhiro IGETA) writes:

    I would tell something I know about Super7.
    K series : 1.4l Rover K series car, De dion and optional catalyst

I would just like to endorse Kazuhiro's support for this engine. It is
a pippin! twin cam four-valve, all alloy. I've had one in my Rover now for
three years and 75,000 miles and it is as good as new. My BDA only lasted
20,000 before it needed a new head. I think there's a 1600 and 2000 coming,
as Honda are charging Rover too much for their 1600s. This is due to go in
the new MG slated to appear in a couple of years' time.

Paul.