impressions of a 12 year old

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: impressions of a 12 year old
From: Michael Sands <sands@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 08:56:24 -0700
Did you ever wonder what kind of impression your little British car
creates in the mind of a 12 year old kid?  I got my rude awakening
this morning!

My daughter's school has continued the path of cost cutting.  This year
the buses quit and I now get to drop her off at school occasionally.  The
school has a system to accomodate the greatly increased traffic, with
an army of kids to open the door as you pull up and to close the door after
you have discharged the cargo.

My daughter used to be proud of the Super Seven.  It was small, low to the
ground and created lots of attention with all her classmates.  She
loved to tell stories of the boys pestering her to tell them about it.

Today, she asked in a quiet voice, if I could drop her off a block away
from school!  I said of course and did not press the matter.  She finally
volunteered that she was embarassed!  Embarassed to be seen in a little
British Car?!?  No, the problem was that the car has no doors.

The helper looks to help open the door when we pull up to the curb and
finding none, looks on helplessly.  My daughter clambers out and looks
back shaking her head.  The helper continues to look on, no knowing how
to close the non-existant door.

Ah, the fragile nature of our egos.  I wonder how long I will have to
wait before she starts pestering me for the keys...?

Michael