Heater Valve to Core hose for Series II E type, Exhaust manifolds

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Heater Valve to Core hose for Series II E type, Exhaust manifolds
From: "Larry Pieniazek (t/l 443-0117)" <lar@vnet.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 93 09:10:15 EDT
Well after getting the carb I needed from Pat Golder (Thanks Pat!)
I got the E on the road, only to fall victim to a burst heater hose.

This hose is a formed rubber 90 degree bend. Many of these formed hoses
were replaced some time ago with ordinary heater hose, using the
technique of looping the hose around instead of trying to make a
tight bend. However, we missed this one.

When I tried this trick on this one, it didn't work very well
because of tight clearances (and the fact that the loop, if looped
loosely enough not to kink, ends up touching the exhaust manifold)
so I'm looking for a source of hose that I can bend in tight bends
without kinking.  Local auto parts places all have the same
red stuff... would metal mesh inside the hose help? Or is it
possible to form the red hose into a tight bend by putting it in hot
water or something?

I don't think it's worth trying to track down this particular original
formed hose part unless I have to, the car is a driving car not
a concours car...

if worst comes to worst I'll just put in a piece with a kink in it
because here in south FL I'm not going to be needing the heater much! :-)

Anyone have 4.2 L series II exhaust manifolds they want to sell?
Mine have some broken studs already on the pipe attachment points
and I need to replace the Y pipe soon...
                                        -Lar