TR7 adsorption canisters, floats, window mechanisms, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR7 adsorption canisters, floats, window mechanisms, etc.
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1993 10:05:07 -0400
Hi everybody, it's me again. The one with the new (you know what I mean)
TR7. It runs!

Over the last week, we did all kinds of stuff. Here are the highlights.

We replaced the right waist seal (we'll do the left one when it comes in)
and it was too short. Strange. We discovered why the windows rattle around
in the doors - the rubber channel insert was sitting in the bottom of the
door instead of in the rear channel where it's supposed to be. We managed
to get the channel in without removing the window, and absolutely no fiddling
with the channel adjustments would allow us to roll the window up without
threatening to break the crank. Aha, so that's why the rubber was taken out.
I seem to remember that some of the other TR7s we test drove had windows that
were difficult to wind up as well. Is there a trick to this?

The turn signals work much better now that I took somebody's suggestion and
ran a wire from the post with the grounded ring terminal on it to the
quick-disconnect on the reflector. The turn signals even blink at idle.

The car was running (if you could call it that) on two cylinders for the last
while. We tried spraying some carb cleaner in the front Zenith Stromberg
and it ran great, but only while we were spraying. OK, it must be filthy.
Our mechanic suggested that we not disassemble everything but that we just
drop the floats out and clean that. Yuck! Grunge city! Old, green gas,
bits of gasket sealer (someone was too cheap to replace the gasket), rust
particles, you name it. Has anyone fit a fuel filter to one of these cars,
or to a car with these carbs (CD2SE?)

The car hasn't idled properly since we got it. During some of the fiddling,
we discovered that it idles just fine if you unplug the hose from the carb
to the adsorption canister, so that's the way I've got it now. Plugging the
hoses (blocking them) still works, put replugging it to the adsorption
canister stalls the idling engine immediately. Do I need a new adsorption
canister (actually, this is the two-canister system), is this a carb
adjustment, or what?

This is the strangest put-together alternator I've ever seen. Brushes butted
against the end of the rotor? Lucas.

We put the top down and celebrated with supper downtown. There was some sort
of concert going on so we were stuck in traffic for a while. It didn't bother
me one bit. As we passed the concert site, and the traffic cleared and became
blocked coming the other way, there was another dark red TR7 with gold trim.
It was like looking in the mirror. I waved, but I don't think that the
other driver saw me, I went by too fast.

Jody.P.Levine@hydro.on.ca - Toronto, Canada - 79 TR7 soft top