Re: Voltmeters vs. Ampmeters

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Voltmeters vs. Ampmeters
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1993 17:26:36 CDT
> for cheapness and ease of installation, it's hard to beat a voltmeter.
> You just mount it anywhere, connect one side to ground and the other
> side to almost any hot wire in sight.

Which brings us round to the most likely explanation for why we see more
voltmeters than ampmeters in cars these days: they're cheap, easy to install
and the average car-buying doofus doesn't pay attention to them anyway (but
they sure look cool in the dash).

On a semi-related note, I had the pleasure of a guided tour of the General
Motors Proving Grounds back in 1980, riding in a new 1980 turbocharged
Monte Carlo (try finding one of those these days...). When I observed that
there was no boost gauge fitted in the dash, the test driver told me that
it was specifically omitted from the Montes because "our research showed
that it was confusing to the drivers." Sigh...

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473