Re: Gas tank Varnish

To: VCapaccio.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Subject: Re: Gas tank Varnish
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 93 14:10:26 pdt

> The question is what causes this type of depostit to develop?  How do you
> prevent it?  Is there a easy way to remove it once you get it?

The reddish color of pump gas is due to a dye additive to make gasoline
more visible.  I suspect a heavy dilution with fresh gas would dissolve
this varnish, given enough time.  There are stabilizer that can be added
to gasoline to reduce this problem for cars, boats or whatever that
aren't used very often.  However, I'm told these stabilizers contain
alcohol which could be a problem for the rubber seals in the fuel
systems of older cars.

Roland