Re: Gas tank Varnish

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas tank Varnish
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 1993 09:51:26 CDT
-mark writes:
>> The reddish color of pump gas is due to a dye additive to make gasoline
>> more visible. [...]
>> Roland
>
> The color of the gasoline also determines the grade. Red is the lowest
> grade (80-100 octane). Blue is next (100-110?). I think that is followed
> by green?

Whoa! Wait a minute here...

I've heard of a proposal to color-code the various grades to help inspection
and checking for mislabeling, but I wasn't aware that it was actually in use
yet. The idea was something like blue for 87 octane, red for 89 octane and
_clear_ for 92-93 octane, aka The Good Stuff. Obviously the con artists would
have a hard time removing the dye from lower-grade gas.

BTW, I must say that although I'm a faithful Amoco user, the latest ad cam-
paign bleating about how clear their premium is just strikes me as silly.
After all, gasoline is one product that we buy and use without ever actually
seeing the stuff.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473