Re: Voltmeters vs. Ampmeters (was Re: TR7 charge indicator)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Voltmeters vs. Ampmeters (was Re: TR7 charge indicator)
From: rlindsay@amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 12:38:43 CDT
I agree with Andy Green's comments about the usefulness
of a voltmeter in a car.  For modern charging systems
the most one can tell from a voltmeter is a qualitative
'feel' for how the system is doing.  If the meter reads
about 13.8 volts then the charging system is regulated
correctly - and charging.  Actually, any reading over
12 volts will charge the battery.  What is unknown is
the condition of the battery.  An ammeter measures the
'quantity' of current flowing thru a circuit and
thereby indicates the degree of charge occuring.  For
my money, the ammeter is a MUCH more meaningful guage.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Rick
     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, until they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...