Voltmeters vs. Ampmeters (was Re: TR7 charge indicator)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Voltmeters vs. Ampmeters (was Re: TR7 charge indicator)
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1993 10:25:16 CDT
Jody (Jody.P.Levine@hydro.on.ca) writes:
> Andrew C. Green (namely, me) Writes (in full Bozo mode -- ACG):
>> (Jody.P.Levine@hydro.on.ca) writes:
>>> The car decided to stop charging (voltmeter needle at left of centre when
>>> it used to be to the right of centre, and it's same with the car running
>>> or not), and the signals don't flash at all. Arrrrggh!
>>
>> Uh, that's an _amp_meter, isn't it? :-)
>
> While I wouldn't be surprised, the little dial does say "volts" on it.

Uh-huh.

(...pregnant pause, mumbling and shuffling of feet...)

I'll write that down. Hopefully I can keep the ol' Florsheims out of the
dentures for a little while now...

This reminds me, btw, of useless a voltmeter seems to be when compared
with an ampmeter ("ammeter" in the U.S.?). With a charging problem, for
example, you get to see the problem expressed in terms of amps of discharge,
as opposed to a suspiciously low voltage reading that may or may not be
sinking.

This issue has come up before, but I was reminded of it when we acquired
(with Phil E.'s guidance; thanks, Phil!) our very own Mighty K-wagon last
week. Where TheRedCar (our previous runabout) had an ampmeter, the K-wagon
has a voltmeter, and I just can't used to seeing the blank, dumb stare of
a voltmeter needle that's perpetually sitting in the middle of its scale.
Fortunately the K-wagon dash has acres of empty space suitable for some
nice in-dash mounting of proper gauges (Smiths, if possible!).

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473