MGB Rear Axle Torque Setting

To: MP050!TUSLER@TRENGA.tredydev.unisys.com
Subject: MGB Rear Axle Torque Setting
From: interf!atlas!jhoward@uunet.UU.NET (James Howard)
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 93 09:32:31 EDT
   My Haynes Manual lists 140 ft-lbs as the torque setting for the tube-type
   axle. I just looked it up this weekend, because my rear-end (The B, not me!)
   has developed the "Incorrect pre-loading howl" ever since I let the diff
   get a little low on oil. The Haynes manual certainly discourages you
   from attempting to rebuild the diff yourself. "If you don't have the
   special British-Leyland tool number XYZ-1234567-B (revision Z), then
   you can TRY to do it with a block of wood, a jug of wine, and thou."
     Anyone rebuild the tube-type axle differential? Or at least replace
   the thrust washer to achieve the correct pre-loading of 9 in-lbs at the
   flange bolt-hole?

I am going to attempt it.  I need to replace that thrust washer.  I
looked at the workshop manual (the one reprinted in 'The Complete Official
MGB'), and they have a drawing of that tool.  It doesn't look too hard
to fabricate.  Only thing that bothers me is that I just finished
putting this axle in.

On a related note, my new rear springs seem to be sagging after only
2000 miles.  Anyone else experience this.  I am thinking of having
Virginia Spring just make me some new ones.

                                                James