RE: MGB Rear Axle Torque Setting

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Rear Axle Torque Setting
From: MP050!TUSLER@TRENGA.tredydev.unisys.com
Date: 01 JUN 93 14:23
My Haynes Manual lists 140 ft-lbs as the torque setting for the tube-type
axle. I just looked it up this weekend, because my rear-end (The B, not me!)
has developed the "Incorrect pre-loading howl" ever since I let the diff
get a little low on oil. The Haynes manual certainly discourages you
from attempting to rebuild the diff yourself. "If you don't have the
special British-Leyland tool number XYZ-1234567-B (revision Z), then
you can TRY to do it with a block of wood, a jug of wine, and thou."
  Anyone rebuild the tube-type axle differential? Or at least replace
the thrust washer to achieve the correct pre-loading of 9 in-lbs at the
flange bolt-hole?
  Can I flaunt my ignorance here? What is backlash? Thrust?

*Philippe Tusler - El Toro, CA                        '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                             '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: MP050!TUSLER@TRENGA.tredydev.unisys.com    '88 ISUZU Trooper*