TR7: Rod Out Radiator Every 12 kmiles?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: TR7: Rod Out Radiator Every 12 kmiles?
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail1.corp.hp.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 93 20:07:00 +0000
Greg Gall (gall@gamma.uleth.ca) wrote:

>If the thermostat has been ruled out, then I would probably take my
>radiator to a rad shop and have it properly descaled. All it takes is a
>couple of those tiny passageways to be blocked before your car runs
>hotter. You can buy a rad descaling substance from most parts shops if
>you haven't already used this. I believe you add it to your coolant and
>run the car for a couple days before you do a coolant change. This stuff
>should greatly improve the effectiveness of a flush.

I have owned my TR7 since 1983, when I bought it with 15000 miles on it.
I had to have the radiator removed and "rodded out" from being badly clogged
at about 19000 miles.  My mechanic told me that all TR7s have problems
with their radiators due to the dissimilar metals used (aluminum head and
iron block) and that the radiator should be rodded out every 12000 miles.
I had it done at 31000 miles and at 42000 miles, and my mechanic and the
radiator shop told me each time that it was an appropriate time to rod
it out--that it was significantly clogged.

Nonetheless, this problem does not sound reasonable to me.  Do other TR7
owners have this experience?  Does a good flush with a descaling substance
substitute for rodding out?  Is there a difference between a descaling
substance and radiator flush, and if so, what is the brand name of the
descaling substance?

--Joe Gorin   '80 TR7 Convertible/Fuel Injected
              (translation: drophead with petrol injection)