J type overdrive

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: J type overdrive
From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 09:35:27 -0500
Questions about a late J type overdrive (80 Spitfire):

Barry called me last night and asked me about gear oils.  Why?  It seems
his overdrive is "slipping" and he's wondering if the dudes at the local
Quick Lube may have put in the wrong kind of gear lube.  I told him
what I knew (late TR6's recommend a GL-4 in the gearbox/overdrive)
and suggested he just try replacing the stuff that was in there with
some GL-4 (BTW, Castrol 80W-90 is a GL-*5*).

Could the wrong gear oil cause the overdrive to slip?  What else should
we go looking for that would cause "slipping?"  Any experts out there?

jim