Tilley's (TR-6) Alive!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tilley's (TR-6) Alive!
From: vanmatre@nprdc.navy.mil (Nick Van Matre)
Date: Mon, 24 May 1993 08:59:55 -0700
About a month ago, Tilly, my TR-6 died with what I thought was a
fuel problem.  I enlisted, and received, advice from the maillist.
Thank you all; in general the suggestions were to check fuel flow to
carbs, do some basic check of electrical issues, then check carbs.
I did all that up to taking the carbs off and overhauling.  But
I wasn't real confident in my ability, so I have an acquaintance
(now a Friend!) who works on LBC's informally.  Friday afternoon
he came over and proceeded to help me.

It was a fuel problem, but I was looking at the wrong end of the
car!  I had misjudged the adequacy of the fuel flow through the
fuel filter into the carbs.  He quickly decided it was not
adequate, checked the gravity flow of fuel from the tank to the
fuel pump and found the problem.  No fuel!  With a bicycle pump
we tried back pressure into the tank, and blew it out.  Obviously,
something had clogged up the tank-fuel line.  I was worried, thinking
about Roland's story with his tank.

Well, friend Roy, had the tank out in about 15 minutes, opened it up
and discovered that the PO, who had replaced the fuel guage sensor
unit had used ALOT of silicon between the tank and the sensor rubber
gasket.  When the sensor was screwed down tight, the silicon squeezed
through the 6 holes in the flange around the tank and dropped little
silicon pellets into the tank.  Apprarently one of these little
1/4 inch diameter pellets blocked the fuel line.

So, cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel guage sensor (did NOT use
silicon), replaced the tank and Tilly came alive.  Roy then fiddled
with the Strombergs a little bit, checked the diaphragms (they are
slightly stretched out) and streched the long spring.  Roy says
that stretching the spring makes the pistons close quicker, giving
you slightly better throttle response and fuel efficiency...  (Does
that sound familiar?)

Incidentally, Roy is British, worked for years as a Jaguar mechanic
in England, somehow wound up in San Diego area, and plays with LBC's
and builds custom Harley motorcycles!!  Another interest of mine.

So, Tilly and I drove around San Diego county.  I met a lady and we
went for a drive up the coast yesterday am, a little cloudy but
certainly not enough to put the top up.  In fact, Tilly hasn't had
the top up since I bought her 10 months ago.  (She does appreciate
the garage.)  She ran great, didn't miss a beat.

OK, now that that problem is taken care of...  I need to install a
rubber molding around the rear edge of the bonnet.  What do you
use to glue the rubber molding on to the metal edge?  I am getting
the rubber molding from Special Interest Car Parts 1-800-851-5600
who is having a sale until 31 May 93.

Love that TR-6 exhaust sound!

Nick