Re: Gilben GT

To: Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: Gilben GT
From: tjhiggin@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Mon, 24 May 93 9:15:57 CDT
> Roger -the weirder the better- Garnett
>
> (Anyone got a Gilben GT 1600 or 1800 for sale? :-)  )

Funny you should mention this.  Just last week I learned that there is
a guy here at Ingr with a Gilben.  I'm after him to join the SOL mail
list, but so far no luck.  I've yet to see the car.

Anyway, apparently there are only a half-dozen or so of these in the
U.S., and the one here is supposedly the only left-hand-drive example
in the country.

As with any 'weird' car, parts are very hard to come by.  It took this
guy 2 years and over $600 to locate a replacement windscreen.  The
Gilben club in England apparently is stingy with the cross-reference
info; I'm told they want you to buy parts direct from them.

Sad story:  the Gilben was parked in the owner's driveway, and a
jogger being chased by a dog jumped onto the car, cracking the rear
glass.  The culprit has agreed to pay, but the car is out of
commission again for what could be a long time.   :^(

All the above is hearsay, but I trust the source or I wouldn't repeat
it.
--
T.J. Higgins     | tjhiggin@ingr.com         | (205) 730-7922