re: Stromberg carb parts

To: lar@vnet.IBM.COM
Subject: re: Stromberg carb parts
From: whs70@cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 24 May 1993 8:49 EDT
>From vnet.IBM.COM!lar Fri May 21 16:14:16 1993
>Does anyone have a Stromberg Zenith 175 cd-2 they'd like to sell (or
>part out??) I need the top part. I'm not too good with the terms but
>the plastic capped part that you screw in to the very top that has a 2"(?)
>rod with a brass cylinder on it (this cylinder goes inside of a tube
>coming out of the needle assembly) seems to be all bent up.
>
>When I tried to start my E last nite there was raw gas coming out
>of the feed from the air cleaner to the carb air intake point and
>I think this might be why. (Needle not working correctly because
>this thing that you screw in is not holding the brass cylinder
>inside the tube in the right place??)

The "thing that you screw in" does not function to center the needle
at all.  The "thing that you screw in" is essentially a delaying
device (damper) which causes the engine to run slightly richer when
the gas peddle is depressed and the piston attempts to rise (due to more
vacuum).  The little brass thing sits in some oil and that slows
the rate of rise of the carburetor piston, thus enriching the mixture
briefly.  If the "thing that you screw in" sits freely when you install
or remove it (no binding, etc.) then I doubt that is your problem.

I had a similar problem with the Strombergs on a TR-4 (leaking gas
through the internal carb "overflow") which then came out/dripped from
the air cleaner.  The problem was a piece of dirt in the "shut-off"
valve that prevents more gas from being fed into the carb when the fuel
bowl is full.  The "shut-off" valve is actuated by the fuel float
in the carburetor.

>The E has dual carbs, can I get away with just temporarily disconnecting
>the fuel feed to this carb? I need to be able to move the car around
>(just a little bit, honest.)

If the car is getting enough gas, AND you are only moving it a few feet
or so, it's probably OK.  If you drove it that way on the street, you'd be
running part of the engine VERY lean and you could burn a piston or two.
That's not likely if you just start the car and want to move it around your
storage area.

Good luck.

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!cc!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@cc.bellcore.com