Tiger -mushy brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Tiger -mushy brakes
From: mds@voodoo.ca.boeing.com (Mark Sullivan)
Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 08:01:35 -0800 (PDT)
I've been reading (lurking, stalking, etc..) the net for a few months now, and
now feel I should introduce myself (and my problem).

I'm Mark Sullivan, and own a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger MkI.  I've owned the car for
about 6 years, and haven't really done much to it except keep the oil and
anti-freeze clean.  I'm kind of in a situation some of you can probably
relate to; two kids 3 and five, wife not working, so I can't really justify
putting any money into the car.  I don't drive it too much, either, and this
may be part of the problem I'm having.

I recently had to move the car out of the garage and when I stepped on the
brake pedal, it went just about to the floor.  I bled the brakes last summer
and have driven the car several times since then without a problem, so I was
kind of surprised whent this happened.

I checked the fluid, and it was way low.  I also noticed some "fuzzy"-looking
stuff floating in the fluid and removed it (sorry about that turkey-baster, dear
) and added more fluid.  I then went for a drive.  The pedal no longer goes to
the floor, but still feels mushy.  Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thanks in advance.