E-type Redlines

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: E-type Redlines
From: dombey@plato.ds.boeing.com (John R Dombey)
Date: Mon, 17 May 93 08:24:43 PDT

Lar wrote last week:

> Can anyone suggest replacement tyres for a 70 E-Type? Currently has
> Michelin red-stripers but have heard those are no longer made by
> Michelin, and that someone else bought the molds... selling for
> 200ish per tyre (ouch!)

I recently bought a set of Avon tyres (yes, tyres) from British Wire Wheel
and had them put a red stripe on for my TR6.  (185HR15)  I'd always wanted
a set of redlines, but the Michelins from TRF are a bit pricey.  Anyhow, the
service from BWW was outstanding, and I had my tyres in 3 days.  Having
driven the Michelins before (and being singularly unimpressed...) I found
the Avons to be great!  I have yet to make them slide, even in the wet (which
we have had plenty of here lately).  No squeals, no slides, no drama, a
quieter ride - who could ask for more?  They cost $94 each, plus something
like $20 each for the stripe.  Shipping came to about $10/pair.  Net savings,
something close to $300.  I don't know what size the E-type uses, but BWW
probably can help you out.  The Avons, by the way, were the cheapest choice.
They would do an V-rated something or other for $300+.  Also, in the course
of researching the tyre-thing, I found that the TR250 and maybe early TR6
also had optional redlines (of a different width) made by Goodyear!

Hope this helps...

John