Re: Starting Problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting Problem
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uu.psi.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 09:33:36 CDT
Thomas Jell (jell@km21.zfe.siemens.de) writes:
>> Classic problem. The starter motor is so hot that it's binding. You may want
>> to ensure that your cable connections are clean and tight to the battery,
>> olenoid, starter and ground, too. Can you improvise a heat shield of some
>> sort to protect the starter from the exhaust?
>
> But if it's a Spit the starter is at the other side of the engine ???

So noted...  ;-)

Nevertheless, a toasty starter doesn't turn over very well. You want to do
whatever you can to keep it cool, and ensure that it's getting full current
flow from the cables. If the only hot thing nearby is the engine block, then
maybe the cooling system is running a bit hotter than usual. This is not an
unusual problem and not unique to the Spitfire by a long shot. I had the
problem on an old Vega (fixed it by overhauling the cooling system), and my
brother-in-law solved the problem on his G.T.O. by replacing the starter.
Presumably the replacement had better tolerances or something... anyhow,
heat seems to be the usual enemy in these cases.

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473