Starting Problem

Subject: Starting Problem
From: tom@ismdqa.intel.com (Tom Soukup ~)
Date: Sun, 16 May 1993 09:36:23 -0700 (PDT)
Hi all,

I've been having a problem in getting my '79 Spitfire 1500 to start when
the engine is hot.  It will start and run fine when the engine is cold.
If the engine is hot, when I try to start the engine, it will crank very
slowly as though the battery is dead.  At times it will start and continue
to run fine, sometimes it will not start at all but will start and run well
if I push start it.  This happens most often if the engine has been running
for a while and then I stop for just a few minutes.  If I let the car cool
off for about an hour, it will start with no problem.  My first guess is
that the battery does not provide enough current when it is hot, but I
don't know if this is a reasonable suggestion.  Does anyone have any ideas
that might help?

As long as I'm here, I've also got a problem with my turn indicators.  They
don't work on either side of the car (the emergency flashers don't work
either).  I can hear the flasher relay clicking, but it does not sound
right.  I would like to replace the flasher, but the one in the car does
not match what the Victoria British catalog shows, or what the local
Economy Imports store tried to sell me for this car.  The car has 3
terminals for the flasher and the catalog shows 2 terminals.  Is there any
way to figure out what I've really got here (buy the way, the flasher in
the car says 'Made in France' which makes me wonder how it ever worked in
the first place).  I don't like driving around in a small car without
signals to let the big cars know where I'm going.

Well, thanks for taking the time to read through this.  Any suggestions on
fixing my problems would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom